When to Section: Wednesday, 1/25/17 @ noon – Friday, 1/27/17 @ 11:59 p.m.
Sectioning Website: via my.harvard.edu
Section Assignment Notifications: Saturday, 1/28/17 (evening)
Section Change Requests: Sunday, 1/29/17 – Tuesday, 1/31/17
Expos 20 Classes Begin: Monday, 1/30/17
Available Expos 20 Courses: Spring 2017 Expos 20 Course Descriptions
Harvard College Writing Program Location: One Bow Street, Second Floor
- Students who took Expos 10 in the Fall 2016 term will be pre-enrolled into the course EXPOS 20 EX10 with Instructor Jehn.
- All other students who will be taking Expos 20 in the Spring 2017 term will be pre-enrolled into the course EXPOS 20 EX20 with Instructor Jehn.
- The Expos course you see on your Study Card is a placeholder course until you are assigned to a specific section of Expos.
- If you are returning to Harvard College after a leave and need to take Expos 20, please contact the Writing Program (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- To register for your Spring Expos section, you will need to review the course offerings and then submit your sectioning information online. Each of these steps is described below.
Spring 2017 Sectioning Procedure
Using the sectioning tool within my.harvard, you must register for a particular section of Expos. Sectioning involves these steps:
- Review Expos course offerings online, or come to the Writing Program office at One Bow Street to obtain a copy of The Guide to Expos Courses Spring 2017. Most course syllabi will also be available online.
- You will access sectioning within my.harvard.edu. A helpful tutorial, including screen shots of the sectioning page, is available in the my.harvard Knowledge Center. Expos 20 students will select and rank their top nine choices. Be flexible about choosing specific sections; you may very well not get your first or second choice. Remember that the similarities between Expos sections are more important than the differences: all sections within Expos 20 have the same structure, amount and kind of work, and goal—to teach students how to write a persuasive and effective academic essay.
- Submit your choices electronically during the online sectioning period WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 25, AT NOON, THROUGH FRIDAY, JANUARY 27, AT 11:59 p.m. Note that sectioning is not a "first come, first served" process: when assigning sections, the sectioning program does not take into account the date or time you submitted preferences.
- Results of Sectioning will be emailed to each student the evening of SATURDAY, JANUARY 28.
- Go to your assigned first Expos class, even if you plan to request a section change, since there is no guarantee that your request will be approved. Expos classes begin MONDAY, JANUARY 30.
Section Change Procedure
- There is no shopping for Expos courses: you may not attend a class for which you are not registered, nor may you go to a class to ask if any students wish to move into another section. Only the Expos Registration Administrator has the authority to switch you into a new section; no Expos preceptor or Resident Dean of Freshmen may approve a student's request for entrance into a section.
- If you have an unavoidable conflict in your schedule, you should fill out a Section Change Request Form in the Writing Program office on the second floor of One Bow Street beginning on SUNDAY, JANUARY 29, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Any student whose initial request for a section change is not granted on the first day of the Section Change Request period may submit another request on MONDAY, JANUARY 30, from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. The last day to submit a section change request is TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, from 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- All Section Change decisions will be emailed to students on the evening of the day the request was made.